Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Configure VPN Server in Windows 7 and VPN Client in Linux

As you might know, Windows 7 supports VPN Server connection without requiring any installation of VPN softwares like OpenVPN. I didn't know that before. Because I was in trouble with setting of VPN, VPN Service in Windows 7 is a kind of the priceless tool treasure to me. VPN in Windows is easy to setup and use. Why didn't I recognize that?

If you want to use the VPN service in Windows as a VPN client, then you are in luck. I mean it is also easy to setup and connect to the server. But if your client system is Linux (Redhat, Ubuntu, or etc.), you may have some troublesome. You need some tools including KNetworkManager, pptp, and pptpconfig. There are many posts out there, so you can get useful information.

One final note is that Windows VPN Server service allows just one connection, so if you try to connect more than one client, you will get the error code, especially in Linux system, "LCP terminated by peer." I didn't know about it so that I wasted my invaluable time. :-(

Good luck.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home